- In a recent cybersecurity breach, hacking group LAPSUS$ leaked images of Okta’s internal systems, releasing the information of more than 300 customers.
- Okta stated that LAPSUS$ hackers obtained the same level of access as one of their subcontractors, Sitel Group – but the hackers disagree. LAPSUS$ claims that their access was even more extensive, granting them the ability to reset passwords and use multifactor authentication.
- LAPSUS$ has had other successful cyberattacks this year, targeting other data-driven firms such as Microsoft, Samsung, and Nvidia.
- Microsoft has spoken out, stating that it has been tracking a “large-scale campaign” wherein LAPSUS$ continues to attack a string of organizations through extortion and data destruction.
Why it Matters:
- While the big data companies may appear to be the primary target of high-profile hacks, many malicious groups are actually after the data of their customers.
- This means that any organization that utilizes a security or data platform is susceptible to major cybersecurity breaches such as those made by LAPSUS$.
- Support from a cybersecurity firm can not only protect your data from cybercrime but empower you to prepare for and respond to any attack that may come your way.
- Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/okta-says-hundreds-of-its-customers-may-have-been-caught-in-hack-11648046134?mod=Searchresults_pos4&page=1
- BW’s Incident Response & Forensics: https://www.bwcyberservices.com/services/incident-response-forensics/
- BW’s Cybersecurity Risk Assessment: https://www.bwcyberservices.com/services/cybersecurity-risk-assessment/