The rise of remote work has made us all more reliant on the cloud for our data storage – but as convenient as it may be, it’s also considerably more vulnerable to cyberattacks.
- The pandemic’s shift to working from home was made so much easier by cloud services that let employees access company data from anywhere – unfortunately, data stored in the cloud is significantly more at risk of being hacked and exploited.
- 99% of cloud services are equipped with excessive permissions, permitting non-administrators and other regular users easy access to company materials. But if an account is compromised, the data that that user has access to could easily be tampered with or even deleted.
- Weak passwords are another issue plaguing cybersecurity within the cloud – 53% of cloud accounts allow weak passwords (fewer than 14 characters) and 44% allow the reuse of passwords from another linked account.
Why it Matters:
- Though key appeals of the cloud are its ease and sharability, these are exactly the factors that leave cloud resources open to malicious hackers.
- Using strong, unique passwords and requiring multifactor authentication add extra levels of security to your data.
- Establishing and strengthening your company’s cybersecurity program to include both of those points as well as outsourced measures of protection from a third-party cybersecurity firm can keep your shared data safe. Additionally, training your employees and ensuring that they are adhering to those measures elevates your organizational defense overall.
- BW Cyber can work with you to build a comprehensive cybersecurity program that covers all of your company’s needs; we can also provide custom training so all of your employees are on the same page and following the processes we institute.
- Source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/terrible-cloud-security-is-leaving-the-door-open-for-hackers-heres-what-youre-doing-wrong/#ftag=CAD-03-10abf5f
- BW’s Managed Detection and Response: https://www.bwcyberservices.com/services/managed-detection-response/
- BW’s Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing: https://www.bwcyberservices.com/services/penetration-testing/
- BW’s Enterprise / Custom Training & Phishing: https://www.bwcyberservices.com/services/training-phishing/